Monday, June 20, 2011

The first invented dish of summer

 Weight Watchers really encourages people to eat a variety of foods, because boredom leads to eating stuff that isn't the best for us (pass the Oreos, yo).
I don't eat certain things often because I think it's too many points. Rice, for example. I've been hungry for rice or pasta lately, and decided to make the rest of the brown rice in the pantry (brown rice takes longer to cook than a roast, I swear). I added in fresh cucumbers and tomatoes that I bought at a roadside stand, and then mix in some olive oil. We're supposed to have a certain amount of healthy oils every day and I almost never do. Someone at my WW meeting told me she puts olive oil in her oatmeal to get her oils in. GROSS.
So my first invented salad of the summer is: half cup of brown rice, cooked; one tomato cut (one cup), one small cucumber cut up (measured to be one cup) and one cup of scallions, chopped. I advise cutting way back on the scallions, or else having a lot of gum handy for later.
Anyway, I put just one teaspoon of EVOO on this and stirred it up.
Six points plus. I know, right! But it's huge. You could half it and have a 3 points plusser.



You might catch a glimpse of my beachy coffee cup there in the corner. I bought it on Anna Maria Island where we stay for our girls-only spring training trip each year. I love that beach and I love that cup - it's huge, like drinking a bowl of coffee. A bowl of coffee  can never be a bad thing, right?
So to demonstrate the bipolarness of my kitchen, here is what the younger kids had for lunch that day. I know, I know, child abuse, right? Hey, it's summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment